The Unabomber Manifesto
Industrial Society and its Future
By Theodore Kaczynski (born 1942), 1995. Annotated by Xah Lee.
- 1. INTRODUCTION (¶1)
- 2. THE PSYCHOLOGY OF MODERN LEFTISM (¶6)
- 3. FEELINGS OF INFERIORITY (¶10)
- 4. OVERSOCIALIZATION (¶24)
- 5. THE POWER PROCESS (¶33)
- 6. SURROGATE ACTIVITIES (¶38)
- 7. AUTONOMY (¶44)
- 8. SOURCES OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS (¶45)
- 9. DISRUPTION OF THE POWER PROCESS IN MODERN SOCIETY (¶59)
- 10. HOW SOME PEOPLE ADJUST (¶77)
- 11. THE MOTIVES OF SCIENTISTS (¶87)
- 12. THE NATURE OF FREEDOM (¶93)
- 13. SOME PRINCIPLES OF HISTORY (¶99)
- 14. INDUSTRIAL-TECHNOLOGICAL SOCIETY CANNOT BE REFORMED (¶111)
- 15. RESTRICTION OF FREEDOM IS UNAVOIDABLE IN INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY (¶114)
- 16. THE ‘BAD’ PARTS OF TECHNOLOGY CANNOT BE SEPARATED FROM THE ‘GOOD’ PARTS (¶121)
- 17. TECHNOLOGY IS A MORE POWERFUL SOCIAL FORCE THAN THE ASPIRATION FOR FREEDOM (¶125)
- 18. SIMPLER SOCIAL PROBLEMS HAVE PROVED INTRACTABLE (¶136)
- 19. REVOLUTION IS EASIER THAN REFORM (¶140)
- 20. CONTROL OF HUMAN BEHAVIOR (¶143)
- 21. HUMAN RACE AT A CROSSROADS (¶161)
- 22. HUMAN SUFFERING (¶167)
- 23. THE FUTURE (¶171)
- 24. STRATEGY (¶180)
- 25. TWO KINDS OF TECHNOLOGY (¶207)
- 26. THE DANGER OF LEFTISM (¶213)
- 27. NOTES
Notes from Xah Lee
This page and the annotations are made by me (Xah Lee) in 2005-07. A second editing is done in 2009-01. Footnotes by Theodore Kaczynski appear at the bottom of each page (if any). For a example page of the formatting of the annotation and Theodore's footnote, see: THE NATURE OF FREEDOM.
The content of this manifesto is primary of 2 themes. The first 1/3 of the book is a criticism of the so-called American “liberals” or political left. This work's perspective of modern society or human nature, is specifically centered around modern USA culture. No effort is made to count Europeans or Asian culture in its discussion of modern society or human nature. Nor are there much criticism or discussion of the American Political Right. The rest 2/3 of the manifesto, starting about section 14, is a extreme pessimistic, irrational, hatred of technology, with the conclusion that the only solution is to eliminate technology.
Here's a list of errors i found while i was reading this work: Typographical Errors in Industrial Society and its Future.
The unabomber, killed a handful over a decade. George W Bush, in a span of a few years, caused the death in the order of few hundred thousand Islamic civilians, in the name of righteousness and the Protestant God.
The unabomber has recently published a collection of his writings. Technological Slavery: The Collected Writings of Theodore J Kaczynski , by Theodore Kaczynski. amazon